Morrowind

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Morrowind

Post by mid_gen »

Well, partly because the forum is a bit dead...and partly because I've recently really got into the game...Morrowind :)

It is, quite simply, the best game I have ever played. I rate it over Deus Ex, I rate it over GTA3/VC, over everything. It's f00kin amazing.

People rattle on about about GTA3 being the ultimate in 'sandbox' gameplay, but it's nothing on Morrowind.

I'd been playing it in dribs and drabs over the last six months, making lots of new characters and just playing around, but the last week or so I've been playing it loads. Before I was just wandering around the place doing odd bits and pieces and exploring. Yesterday I thought I'd go back to my first objective from when I started the game. I started following that particular story thread for a while, and omg, it's class :mrgreen: It actually has a genuinely compelling storyline. I've found myself playing now, not just for the usual RPG reasons of advancing your char, but because I really want to find out what happens in the rest of the story.

And you know what the real beauty of this game is?

I played the game for at least 40 hours before I even touched on the main storyline. I'd followed several other plotlines in the game (I'm master of the Fighter's Guild for instance), and I was perfectly happy doing so. It's the only true example of 'sandbox' gameplay. You can play the game however you want, whenever you want.

My first major characters was a thief. I used daggers and illusion and lockpicking to make myself filthy rich and then started advancing through the Morag Tong (assasin's guild), then I lost my savegame *sniff*. My current character is just a big strong mofo with a fuck-off big Daedric Claymore, and I get what I want by butchering anyone who gets in my way. I could go for the sociable route and focus on speechcraft and mercantile skills, and get what I want by being nice to people. I could spent my whole time in the game wandering the lands, picking flowers and mixing up potions for sale. I could go around running errands for the mining company, or the thieves guild, or try and advance through one of the great houses. I could make all my money diving for pearls off the coast.

Oh, and the two add-ons, Tribunal and Bloodmoon are class. You should be able to get them all in a GOTY package for PC or X Box by now.

This is a 98% game, the slightly ropey combat system ceases to matter after you've been playing for a few hours. G'wan, give it a try. If you want value for money...you can't go wrong. I've played for countless hours..and still only explored 20% of the landscape availbale, not counting the two add-ons. A breath of fresh air in these times where you pay £40 for a game that you complete in 6 hours.

</beard>

<beard>
/me goes back to infiltrating the Neverarine Cult...
^Nightmare^
pe0n
pe0n

half-life

Post by ^Nightmare^ »

whats the rating for half-life?
:?:
BoredAtWork
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by BoredAtWork »

Been playing Morrowind a bit myself and I have to agree it is a awesome game total value for money. The only stupid thing is that it seems a bit to easy to create a uber character, for example you can buy various items of clothing enchant them with Sanctuary up to 100 and nobody can ever hit you in combat!!

Once you get hard enough you can also go around killing Ordinators as none of the NPC's seem to care and their kit is worth a fortune (around 40k per Ordinator I think).

However, if can resist the urge "bend" the rules then it is fcuking great. Would have been cool if they had made the levitate spell better so you could properly fly..... is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's etc. 8)
Kin
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Kin »

I have to say I agree totally, having played HL and GTA3 and VC to death I have come back once again to Morrowind and just started to explore. It is incredible and the effects of things like the sand storm are just awesome when you stand out in the middle of nowhere and you can hear some creature in the distance it is just out of this world. I havent got the expansions yet but I most definitely will be (once I get a bit further in that is).
CHEESE!
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

I agree the combat can become a bit easy. I've got full custom ebony armour, the Umbra sword plus my own enchanted Daedric claymore. The one that really makes it silly is the vampiric ring, which sucks the life outta people and gives it to you, makes taking out even the toughest people much easier.

I still enjoy the freedom of it, being able to wander where I please and pick up and drop storylines whenever I want. I do like being able to just murder anyone who pisses me off, kinda satisying, only costs you 1k too ;) Most of the people are so friggin rude in the game too, and then the asassins and whatnot...feckers :)
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Re: half-life

Post by mid_gen »

^Nightmare^ wrote:whats the rating for half-life?
:?:
95% imo, people bitch and say it's linear and boring (including my course head, tosser that he is), but christ, it's like 4-5 years old now, it was groundbreaking in it's time. People talking to you? I nearly wet myself the first time I ran through the intro sequence :)