F&%king IBM

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

F&%king IBM

Post by LazyManc »

It had to happen sooner or later... my 30gb IBM Deskstar 75GXP has finally called it quits and decided it wants no further part in my filestoring plans. I have to admit, at around 3 years of 24/7 operation it's lasted a lot longer than the majority of this model drive does (Chris had 2 die within the first six months IIRC), but it's still a pain in the arse. I've been running 2 of these bastards for quite some time, and at one point in Raid 0 (im a braver man than most ;)). How long it will be before the next one falls over is anyones bet. Odds for it to last the month out start at 7-1.

From now on it's western digital all the way baby, no more IBM shite. Just wish they did the new sata raptors in sizes bigger than 36gb...
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

and you *still* want a RAID 0 setup?

The man's a fool I tell ya :P
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

middie.. read yer sglan email.

oh and less of the ibm-bashing.. oh i c, it's those hard drives.. oh well... bash away, i've got one, they suck!

Rob
(ibm DCS)
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

But 2x 10,000 RPM Raptor drives in RAID 0 would rock, and they come with 5 year warrantys. All the important stuff (my docs, files etc) will be kept on a seperate 120gb WD caviar drive, the RAID would be for OS / Installs only, so if it fails then I havent lost anything that cant be replaced fairly quickly.

Still, paying £120 for each 36gb drive may be a little OTT for home use.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

£120 for 10-20% HDD performance increase (with 512mb+ RAM this matters even less), plus a doubled chance of total data loss....not worth it imo
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

With 2 Raptors in RAID 0 its more like 40-50% over even the best performing single 7200RPM drives currently available (WD caviar special edition) for desktop performance.

If i'm going to build "The Beast" (TM) I might as well go the whole nine yards. :lol:
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

2 WD Raptors in RAID 0 is not 40-50% quicker than 1x WD Raptor, hence the '£120 for 10-20% increase' :P

They are £120 each, not £60?
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Correct, but I cant run all my os / games / apps etc off 36GB (more like 32gb after formatting) these days, therefore its either 1x120gb 7200 drive for £120(ish), or 2x 36Gb for £240.

So i'll be paying £120 extra for a 40-50% performance increase over the single 120Gb drive but take a huge hit in capacity at the same time. I know it sounds daft, but in my mind having one raptor is unjustifyable, having two makes sense :)
Chief
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Chief »

bah
who needs raid

get urself a decent file system that supports transparent mapping of directories (and raid 1 if your paranoid about drives failing)

hint... Linux :)
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

I've only got 40gb of space on my laptop which is more than enough for all my OS, server apps, desktop apps, all the games I'll ever play, and still have room for at least 2 DVD VOB rips while I'm DivX-ing.

Besides, you know I'll just stick a 15k rpm U320 SCSI drive in my HL2 machine and whup yer ass :P
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Hmm, one 36Gb Seagate Cheetah 15k is £260, I think i'll leave you to it :)
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

And btw, I have absolutely no idea why there are about 5 blank carriage returns in my sig, on the profile page it stops after the {/url} tag.

It's bizarre, any idea how to fix it?
PeteTheHair
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by PeteTheHair »

It's not your sig, it's the browser stretching the table cell the message is in to match the height of the bar on the left... If you shrunk the good Mr Partridge, your messages would all shrink a bit. Note that this isn't me asking you to... it's an acceptable size :) We have had some monstrosities on here though :)

Note that all that applies to the theme I'm using, and may not be accurate for anyone else...
Pete
"If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1"
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Doh, of course, it's obvious now. Time for a new image methinks.

*done*
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

It's too late to change my mind now, just ordered the PC parts:

Abit IC7-G Canterwood
P4 2.8Ghz 800FSB with Hyper Threading
2x 512MB Corsair PC3500
2x 36GB Western Digital 10,000RPM SATA HDD
Lianli PC65 Aluminium case
Antec TruePower 550w PSU
Waterchill KT03 CPU cooling kit
Waterchill VGA waterblock
Waterchill Northbridge waterblock

Bringing over a 120Gb Western Digital Caviar Special Edition, GF4 4200 and Plexwriter 24/10/40 from my old pc.

Hopefully i'll be able to keep the leaks out long enough to display it at SG16 :)
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

I'm still plotting my new (HL2 ;)) system every now and then..

I'm gonna swap the 3.06Ghz HT P4 from my laptop with a 2.4/2.6 P4, which will increase lappy battery life and lower heat output, as well as giving me the CPU horsepower for the new machine :)

Been looking at 15k RPM U320 SCSI... pricey...but with the kind of stuff I do these days I want uber-bitching HDD speed. Hopefully we'll see some 15k rpm SATA drives out by september....the u320 controllers don't come cheap =/

I can't seem to find any PCI-X p4 motherboards at the moment though...kinda sucks...again, mebbe there'll be more in a few months time..

/me dribbles over Half-Life 2 movie some more....mmmm
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

well i wish you every luck trying to invalidate your warrenty on your 3 grand laptop, obviously you've got more money than sense! :roll:

rib?
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

The Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Ultra is a canterwood board with ultra 320 SCSI built in, but not PCI-X.

Of course, that would mean buying a new CPU to make use of the memory bandwidth you get at 800+ FSB.

You might also want to check the kind of noise levels a 15k rpm scsi drive makes, they might be fine for a rackmount server in an air-conditioned data-centre but on a desktop? Can't imagine they'll be quiet.
Chief
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Chief »

heh, you intel gimps are making me want to post my plans for 64Bitness

some nforce3 mobo... (or whatever for opterons)
a few (like 4?) Opterons
2Gigs of Fast Ram!!! (or more)
several 10K or 15K desktop drives (SATA)
Geforce FX of some kind.
Uberness... plenty of it.

yeah :)
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

I've always been an AMD fan but atm the Intel gear is vastly better, and I need a new PC now and not in 12 months :)