favourite singles

By request....a forum for discussing your favourite/most hated music :)

Moderator: SG Admins

biggles

favourite singles

Post by biggles »

1) a - nothing
2) sting - russians

russians is just so damn topical i suggest you all listen to it
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Re: favourite singles

Post by Kulgan »

biggles wrote:russians is just so damn topical i suggest you all listen to it
The situations in Iraq and the Cold War are extremely different, I'll have you know...

The main theme in Sting's "Russians" is the concept of MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction. Thus his hope that the "russians love their children too".
MAD is nowhere near present in the Iraq situation. If it was, we wouldn't be going in right now.

Having said that, the rhetoric being spouted by the American and Iraqi leaders currently, and that attributed to the American and Soviet leaders by Sting in his song do strike a rather similar chord.

Hmmm. Anyone else up for analysis of a song making a political statement relevant to a historical situation with regards to the modern situation?

Didn't think so - you bunch of apathetic gits :D

K
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

Actually, I'd be interested to hear Seahorse's take on this, as he has rather a unique perspective on it (in addition to being old enough to really remember the Cold War :D). Any views Mike?

K
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

ahh, the cold war, my brain is filled with (fictional?) takes on it from metal gear solid...

nuclear equipped walking battle tanks and NUF! 8|
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Hmmm. Anyone else up for analysis of a song making a political statement relevant to a historical situation with regards to the modern situation?
The Cheeky Song
Cheeky girls………………….
Ooh boys cheeky girls
Ooh girls cheeky boys
Ooh boys cheeky girls
Ooh girls cheeky boys
Ooh boys cheeky girls
Ooh girls cheeky boys
Ooh boys cheeky girls
Ooh girls cheeky boys
This chorus is obviously reference to the oppression and long suffering of the Iraqi people at the hands of a merciless dictatorship, and the repetitive uprisings and crushing put downs between Sadam and his people.
I never ever ask where do you go
I never ever ask what do you do
I never ever ask what’s in your mind
I never ever ask if you’ll be mine
Come and smile don’t be shy
Touch my bum this is life.
This verse shows an insight into the partnership between the Americans and the British. We don't keep check of where they are going or what they are doing, but it hints at a longing for a closer relationship. The profundity of the final line provides shocking realisation of our ultimate goal in life.

If you listen carefully you can here sampled cruise missile engines in the backing track, and if played backwards at high speed it gives the GPS co-ordinates of Sadam's palace in Baghdad
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

:P

K
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Sorry missed that one K - still trapped in Dial up hell!

I do remember the Cold War and even trained for it! The short version (excluding MAD) was we had better kit but less of it. They had crap & loads of it. So a war of attrition would have resulted if we didn't go Nuclear.

This war is more like a colonian expansion of old. Parent states who believe imposing their own values is the right thing to do on inferior nations (British Empire of old for instance).

The reasons for going in are as dubious as the US presidential result were IMHO, but if Saddam & the UN sanctions are removed the lives of the average Iraqi on the street would improve immeasurably. Contradiction.

Against this is a life time's training for this very kind of thing and few servicemen object to putting it in to use, me included. Kind of like being a Fireman & never getting to put out fires I guess. War is bad, but let me at them kind of thing.

Obviously this sets my mind on a collision course with my heart. We are supporting Turkey here - being a NATO HQ. NATO is NOT involved in the War in Iraq. Plenty of my colleagues (some who I have even seen on the news) from units I have served, friends and so on are out there us part of the UK commitment to the coalition.

Further to this mixing pot, servicemen are obliged to do has ordered and obviously have a keen sense of duty. If you are called up & you go there, you do the job. So even if you don't agree with the way we got into the situation, you still have a job to do.

Anyway - enough of this 56K waffling, lemme know what you think...

P.S. Grooving to the soundtrack to Driven (Stallone Indy Car Movie). Some top tunes - especially the "Leroy - Good Times" one which plays over the opening sequence of the movie. Good enough for me to order his albums I might add from www.play.com... :wink: Stallone loves me, another of his DVDs & 2 albums related to the film!!!
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs