Mac OS X (specifically) - any good?

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

I have no problems with that proposal ;) hehe

cool, I'd love to test both Karl's PowerBook and your iBook Unga, get to see how the OS runs on a slower system, and at one point I was considering getting an iBook, but the TiBook caught my eye, maybe I'll leave shotgun wanting an iBook instead? who knows :)

is your iBook unga, the 12 or 14 inch screen version?
Chief
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Chief »

linux for ppc.. nuff said
PeteTheHair
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by PeteTheHair »

Chief wrote:linux for ppc.. nuff said
Yeah, then you can have a really unusable system ;)
Pete
"If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1"
unga?
pe0n
pe0n

Post by unga? »

tis the 12" version...the 14" screen uses the same res but, in my opinion, looks a lil pants...

if u can afford it get a tibook...they stupidly quick...mines ok and all i use it for is mp3s and internet...(althugh dreamweaver mx and photoshop 7 sometimes make guest appearances :)

i've run debian on it and dont rate it, but then i know next to nothing bout linux

anyway, i have too much work to do so talk more at shotgun...
rob
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

linux on ppc huh, well, I think OS X might interest me since I want to learn about Unix, could be a nice way to learn about it?
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

If you want to learn about linux without messing about with your partitions, get hold of VMWare Workstation and run it in a VM. Especially good if you're new to linux as you can't nuke your other OS accidentally ;)
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

heheh, Nuke, Sparks told me about a command in unix that will format every drive without prompt and there's no way back, unix sounds damn fun :D
Ze_Baron
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by Ze_Baron »

Hmmm....

Reasonable statement by Nick:

I think that the OS you choose will be dependent on how used to and comfortable with Windows you are. I have used Mac's since the classic came out, I have not yet had a chance to play with Jaguar.

My Dad has the arse kickin, cool looking, dribble worthy G4 titanium jobby and it roxors like nothing else ever. It jus looks so smegging cool. I wish PC deisgners had this much talent. BUT...

Not so reasonable rant:

The Mac OS experience is the most frustrating thing thing since Kylie Minogue pranced around in my room wearing just a thong and then announced that she had developed a sudden migraine.

I cannot use the mac for more than 5 minutes before bursting into a flaming rage about how un-bloody-friendly the interface is. I swear if you count the number of mouse clicks you need to do anything I am surprised that Mac users dont all die from RSI!!!

The OS and actual processors used are the Mac's drawback. The design, concept and ideals are great but Steve jobs is going to lose himself in dogma. I want him to build me a gorgeous PC though...
Ze Baron
"I love it when a LAN comes together!"