The Pianist / Genocide / Iraq

Write your reviews here, hardware, software, anything goes!

Moderator: SG Admins

LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

The Pianist / Genocide / Iraq

Post by LazyManc »

Watch it. It's not easy viewing but its probably the most poignant piece of cinema i've seen in a long time, even more well done than Schindlers List. You can't fail to take into mind how evil humans can be, and why the atrocities that occured between 1939-45 can never again be allowed to happen, even if it means fighting more wars.

[rant]
Iraq under Sadam may be nothing like as bad as Warsaw was under Hitler, but there are still basic human rights being denied. To sit idly by and pretend nothing is wrong does nothing but encourage the perpetrators, and I think part of the reason America are taking the lead in such a campaign is the guilt they feel at not ending WW2 sooner, as they could well have done if they hadn't procrastinated. 9-11 was just the spark that was required to set the ball rolling and get the backing of the American people behind such a huge effort.

Many people will loose their lives, and many have already done so, but a post-Sadam Iraq has the potential to be a much better place to live than under the current regime. I'm not nieve enough to think that there aren't other ulterior motives involved, but a world without Sadam and his ilk is something I look forward to, and I believe Blair feels the same way.

Many people are off put by the way Americans see themselves as the world police, but if they didn't play that role then you can guarantee that the world would be a much less stable place than it is today, and worse off for it.
[/rant]
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Check http://dear_raed.blogspot.com/ for a view from an Iraqi civilian living in Baghdad over the past week.
Chief
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Chief »

Chief
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Chief »

heh, makes you wonder why the germans are so against the war... the french too for that matter - being that both countries were at the heart of nazi opression.

the poles however fully support the war and have supporting roles (non-combat) in the region.

infact - my own mother was a small kid after the war in the area (warsaw) - and she most remembers the fact that they got loads of american stuff (even though it was russian controlled area) and they loved the americans for finishing the war the british & russians couldnt.
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/ww2stats.htm

Not to mention Britain was virtually bankrupted by the war... while we couldn't finish the war without assistance, I would argue that our hearts were in the right place.

That, and could you state your theory about Germany and France in a more precise way? I'm not sure I agree at all with you at the moment, and before I slap you down with witty repartee, I thought I'd give you a chance to defend yourself :wink:

Sweeping generalisations about wars don't go down very well with me, in particular statements that belittle the sacrificial efforts that all concerned made...

K
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

still hasnt updated since the 24th, you reckon he's been asked to be quiet, found a laserguided missile or just got no comms?
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
-------------------------------------------------
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

I think he's probably just without an internet connection, although he may have slipped up and let his identity slip in which case hes probably been picked up by the thought police.