Zoooomm!

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Zoooomm!

Post by LazyManc »

Yes, this is the obligatory "I've got something new and cool and want to brag about it" post, feel free to ignore.

Anyways, after much messing about i've now got my watercooled P4 setup running, and OMG, these Raptors are quick. Windows XP boots from a cold start in <20 seconds, the PC Mark 2002 HDD benchmark shows the array as more than 100% quicker than a single WD Caviar Special Edition (8mb cache) which is one of the quickest 7,200rpm IDE drives out there at the minute; 2356pts vs 1009pts on a similar spec'd system.

SiSoft Sandra HDD Benchmark:

:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Not tried overclocking yet as i'm waiting for a replacement PSU, overclockersuk sent me an EPS one by mistake and I dont want to chance it on this PSU.

Not getting great 3D Mark 2001 scores atm, currently around 12k with everything at stock levels. Gonna run 3DMark 2003 in a sec when its finished DLing and see if I can get more than the sub-10fps im used to on the space marine bit ;)

Oh, and if you're looking for a motive for all this upgrading, it's HL2 :)
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Not Duke Nukem Forever then... :evil:
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Well, to be blunt my 3DMark03 score is pants, 1503 or something, definitely showing the need for a DX9 card for that benchmark. GF4 4200 isn't gonna cut it with Doom3 I'd imagine, although HL2 should be ok.
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Nothing like a never ending upgrade cycle. Trouble is, whatever you buy today is already on its way out... :evil:

Rgds
Mike

My DVDs
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Duke Nukem Forever? I'm not that desperately awaiting it. I like a little more than fancy graphics in my games these days. Duke3d and Doom were great games in their day when all the hardware could manage was dumb shooters.

Half-Life 2 looks set to if not revolutionise gaming, at least propel it years ahead of it's current state. The physics, AI, character and graphics technologies in there are going to bring about a huge change to gaming. HL2 + mods will be as far advanced from half-life as half-life was from Doom. I can't wait :) The physics alone! Just the simple idea of being able to push objects around and create cover, and then have that cover degrade and get broken up realistically by gun fire. It'll give CS a whole new lease of life, an extra dimension of gameplay. No more will you be running around a big, static mesh. There'll certainly be more variety in games. Personally I can't wait to grab a bush and run around using it for cover :mrgreen:
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

DN4ever has had 3 game engines so far. I'm sure there is room for a 4th. Personally I think the Doom 3 engine may offer the most realistic option. Trouble being is the Uber PC you need to get it.

As is always the case when I come to upgrade it's a difficult choice. P4c now or AMD64 a little later. Is either up to the job, do I need yet another graphics card between times. Oh, has the RAM changed again. Do I wait for what is current when the game arrives or do I go shopping now :?:

No one you are ever going to win, but the right choice today should help tomorrow. Much like game engines.

Bill Gates was asked when was the best time to upgrade your PC. He said now. I'm not so sure that is true at the moment viz P4 3.2 this month, Precott superseding it shortly and the AMD 64 in Aug. All require a new motherboard and an incompatible (to my current PC) form of RAM.

Decisions, decisions.... :shock:

Rgds
Mike

My DVDs
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

The release of the P4 3.2Ghz will bring it in at a price above the current P4 3ghz chip - they won't be drastically cutting prices until Prescott in October. I think it's probably best to wait a while with regards to the AMD64 chips while the technology matures a bit. Both UT2K3 and HL will have 64 bit versions around the time athlon-64 is released, and they are already supposed to be showing performance improvements at the alpha stage.

Rambus is dead, but its deciding between DDR and DDR2 that'll be the next decision.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

As long HL2 runs respectably in 800x600 I'll be happy. As much as I'm tempted to buy a new system, it'll cost about a grand complete, and be worth half that in six months.

Long live the console :)
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

As much as I'm tempted to buy a new system, it'll cost about a grand complete, and be worth half that in six months.
Heard that one before :)

I'll bet you £20 you've bought another PC before we finish UNI ;)
rapid
pe0n
pe0n

Post by rapid »

Im in similar situation really, as far as upgrading and when to do it. Luckily i kept out of the cycle of upgrading for pretty much 3 years, Ive done odd bits here and there but im still running 900mhz, which is shite, but for the games out at the moment it just about manages.. but then again i only ever really stuck with games/mods built on the quake engine, like HL etc.

Gunna wait it out till september time till i upgrade, main reason being is, over summer i have no need to use the computer, with work and nice weather it just aint worth it, and the possibility of saving a pretty decent amount of money by waiting makes me resist.

Chris, i think you will find it hard to not run upstairs and bash in your credit card details when im sat there building a beast of a machine for HL2 :D - plus you know you will need atleast the same spec as me if you want to come close to even killing me in hl2dm :P

But yea it sucks spending a G on a comp, when i could go out and piss it up the wall, which i would say is still a good chance i will :P

cmon HL2 on da' tbird 900 :D
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

I really can't afford another major upgrade. I've only given myself just enough money to buy this display, no more. I'm gonna be putting money back into savings to pay for it over summer + student loans.

Plus it's gonna cost me a bloody fortune to insure my stuff if it's going in the living room. I personally think you lot should throw a few notes my way if you don't want to sit in front of a 14" portable all year ;p I'm quite happy to keep it all in me room. I'm gonna get some quotes this week.
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Find out how much its gonna cost in your room, how much it'll cost in the lounge, and we'll split the difference 5 ways.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Sounds fair to me
rapid
pe0n
pe0n

Post by rapid »

cant see it being that much more in the lounge.. but yea if its not shit loads im more than willing to pay some of it.
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

3.5Ghz without trying isn't bad... gonna run some stability testing software (Prime95) for another couple of hours to make sure its 100% stable. So far, so good, but if it fails even one test i'll back off a bit. If it passes I'll try a bit higher :)
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

:P Shame you got a naff gfx card ;)

I'm getting quotes ranging from £120 to £600 on insurance atm....think I'm gonna have to settle on a compromise (ie, only insure the tv for a grand)

*sniff*
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Shame you got a naff gfx card
Yah I know, still, easily fixed come september ;)
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Should put some funky UV-reflective dye in the water and stick a uv cathode in :)
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Yah I was thinking along those lines but I'm a bit short of cash atm as you can imagine :) I might tart it up a bit before the lan, depends if I can be arsed.