On the subject of broadband TOS...

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

On the subject of broadband TOS...

Post by mid_gen »

Our ADSL got cutoff last night, and I'd assumed that it was because I had been battering the connection on emule for about a week.

But no!

'Copyright Infringement' apparently.

They'd picked up my leeching of CnC Generals from an FTP that shall remain nameless, and stitched me up.

Ah well, a grovelling phone call and e-mail and it's all back up and running again.
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

tell us more then, how did they bollock you and how did you respond, just so we know how to counter in future :)
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
-------------------------------------------------
Ze_Baron
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by Ze_Baron »

Warez? Tut tut tut Midgen...

Who is your ADSL provider? How did they present the evidence?
Ze Baron
"I love it when a LAN comes together!"
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Our provider is Karoo.

The net connection just dropped and wouldn't let us back on. I wasn't the one who rang customer services, but apparently they said we had breached the terms of service, specifially copyright infringement. The rep then said 'does Command and Conquer mean anything to you'?

Then we just had to write an e-mail to customer services saying 'sorry, we won't do it again' and we got reconnected.

I wasn't going to argue it, it was a fair cop after all :)
Chief
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Chief »

even if you already own a copy of C&C:Generals?

i dont like the idea of ISPs being able to snoop on your activity and just shut you down without having any background info

what if your retail legit cd were fucked - and you were getting the ISO's off ya mate?

what if you already own a copy of the latest Sugar Babes album, and you were downloading their music in mp3 format cos you didnt know how to rip mp3's ?? (silly example)... the ISP says.. oi!! copyright infringement... and what can you do? take a picture of yourself with the cd and receipt in hand and send it to the ISP?

fair fucking use.

if telewest ever did anything like that to me i would be demanding an apolguy and a refund for the time lost online, plus compensation for anguish and i would then threaten them with some sort of action with the tradeing standards people and... firebomb their... err.. ok, perhaps not that far but.. you see how i feel about this kinda bullshit.

as an admin myself, i get to ponder over peoples home areas... for pictures of <insert illegal shit here> and warez. but they have been told not to have it on teh school system for any reason. I dont just close an account cos i feel shitty and i want to have a bit of fun and snoop on the users... my boss gets off on that, ill leave him to it :)
Chief
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Chief »

7 Internet Protocol Services
This section applieS to our hi-speed [Cable Modem] users only. Dialup users are not permitted to run any Internet Protocol services [including, without limitation web servers or mail servers].
Telewest blueyonder hi-speed internet opens up new possibilities of use with its features such as 'always on', and while subscribers are able to benefit from these features, Telewest must also ensure that the Service is not abused to the disadvantage of the Service and subscriber group.
You must not use, nor allow anyone else to use the Services to provide Internet Protocol services to the Internet populace as a whole, including other blueyonder customers. Internet Protocol services includes, but is not limited to, HTTP, games, telnet and FTP services.
However, you may provide Internet Protocol services from your computer for personal use. An example would be the running of an authenticated FTP service to enable you to access files on your home computer remotely. The following conditions apply:-
Any Internet Protocol services you use require authentication eg. You are not allowed to provide anonymous FTP servers; and
You are not allowed more than ten concurrent connections to the Internet Protocol services you use.
wow... they have actually relaxed it! when i first signed on there was no hosting of anything whatsoever.

they regularly scan for open SMTP hosts cos of that newsgroup thing a while back... actually called me up once when i had just reinstalled winroute and left the smtp proxy open.. <blueyonder>YOUR SMTP SERVER IS OPEN!!! <me> What? <blueyonder> you just installed winroute right? [implying im sharing my connection.. which i shouldnt be doing ] <me> yeah,??? <blueyonder> just turn off the smtp proxy and it will be ok. <me> k.. done. <blueyonder> checking.. right. thanks. bye!

oh.. rar.. this too:
9 Networks
hi-speed users only
You may connect your computer using the cable modem to a LAN once the service is installed. However, Telewest will not install home LANs or provide any technical support regarding their use or configuration.
Continued use of an item of networking software or hardware after Telewest has notified the User to cease using that item will be regarded as an unacceptable use of blueyonder.

heh, telewest rock :)
dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by dogmeat »

eeek! <checks my DSL T&Cs> I've been running e-mule almost constantly, but Nildram seem to be fine.

Oh, and Nilly pwn all other DSL providers :D
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

eMule's not a problem, as it's next to impossible to track what you are downloading, and where from.

It's the FTP that got us caught...
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Nothing to worry about. ADSL has been out for more than 3 weeks here. Tech prob SERVER SIDE FFS (WInXP error code 678). Then you spend another 3 months pissing around trying o get a refund... :evil:
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

dogmeat wrote:eeek! <checks my DSL T&Cs> I've been running e-mule almost constantly, but Nildram seem to be fine.

Oh, and Nilly pwn all other DSL providers :D
me and sparks second that.